Thursday 11 July 2013

Ronke's Hair Story...Please read!!!!


Hi! My name is Ronke...
My natural hair journey started in August 2011.  I didn't really set out to go natural, it's almost like I stumbled into it.  I went through a phase where I had my hair in braids and weaves for about 9 months without perming my hair. 
After this, I decided that I might as well chop off the remaining permed hair. I was quite nervous and scared about taking this move because I didn't know how it would turn out, especially being that I worked in corporate setting where this is not very common. On the hand, I was looking forward to the idea of not having to deal with relaxers any more. I spoke to a few friends that had natural hair who gave me some tips on how to style my hair.

After the big chop, I felt free. I loved my new natural hair. Yes, it does require a lot of dedication and trial and error to determine what method of styling works best for my hair.  I have received a lot of positive feedback and compliments after the big chop.  However, some others could not understand why I would want to keep my hair natural because of the idea that it is harder to style. Someone asked me "how I am able to comb my natural hair." 

I have kept my natural hair pretty short for the most part so far, but now I have decided to grow it out. I mostly use Shea moisture shampoo and conditioner and Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie and coconut oil for twist outs. I also do braids throughout the year.

The most important advice I

can give anyone thinking about going natural is to do your research, have confidence in your self and enjoy the process.

1 comment:

  1. Nice one. Keep it up. This is someone you know but won't mention name. Miss u greatly. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete