Thursday 8 August 2013

Sabirah's Story...does it sound familiar?

I went natural in October 2009. 
As cheesy as it may sound,I went natural because I felt I wasn’t being true to myself. I was at a stage in my life where I was asking myself a lot of important questions about who I was and why I did the things I did. It had never occurred to me that having natural hair was an option for me so as soon as I realized I could do it I went for the big chop.

It was exhilarating and scary at the same time, the week that I first cut my hair ,I found myself wearing lots of make-up and jewellery. I probably looked clownish. Soon enough though, I got used to it and came to love my short hair. As it grew, I changed too. My hair added an edge to my personal style and became one of my favourite features. It also  became a great conversation starter.

Over the past years, I've tried various styles and my favourite are definitely twists, braided styles and updos. I never quite became the product junkie, I just stuck to what worked. My hair regimen has always been no fuss; water, good oils and butters and the occasional styler.


Being natural has been fun for me, I love the versatility, I love how different natural hair looks- no two people have the same head of hair, and I love the positive message it sends. 
Embrace who you are, fully!









No comments:

Post a Comment